News

Nando’s customer finds metal hook in chicken wrap and is offered £10 and no refund

A woman eating a Nando’s Double Chicken Wrap was shocked to discover she’d bitten into a metal hook.

Francesca Roma had ordered the wrap and other Nando’s dishes as a takeaway from a branch at Silverlink Retail Park in Wallsend, Newcastle.

The 25-year-old dental nurse felt something hard when she bit into the wrap, took it out and realised it was a metal hook. It had been sitting inside the chicken fillet, reports Chronicle Live.

Francesca, who lives in Backworth, North Tyneside, said: “At first I didn’t know what it was, I thought it was something extra burnt or crispy. I pulled it out of my mouth and I was shaking.

“It was the size of the palm of my hand, it was absolutely disgusting. I pushed my meal to the side and tried to message them straight away.

“It was a massive shock. If someone swallowed it, God knows what would have happened!”

Francesca said she initially contacted Deliveroo and they told her to get in touch with Nando’s. She said the chicken chain then asked her to send them the metal hook in the post, which she did.

Francesca said she was told by Nando’s that the hook couldn’t have got into her food during preparation. She said the business was unable to give her a definitive answer about how the piece of metal got there.

Francesca said they initially offered her a £10 gift card but did not offer her a refund for the meal.

She said she declined the offer, as she did not want to return, and Nando’s then offered her a £100 gift card.

She said: “I’m just so infuriated and stressed by it because there’s no other explanation as to how it could have been inside the piece of chicken.

“I haven’t even been refunded for my meal and I don’t want a gift card as I don’t ever want to go back.”

Francesca said she has been a Nando’s customer for years and has ordered takeaways before with no issues. On this occasion, she ordered the double wrap with chips as well as a sunset burger and chips and some halloumi sticks and dip, for a total of £37.14.

Francesca has questioned how something so big could go unnoticed in her food. She said she has contacted Environmental Health about the incident.

She said: “For me it’s not about the money. I don’t think a gift card is going to cover the stress that I have gone through, it’s not suitable.

“I have asked them four times to send the hook back to me but they haven’t.”

A Nando’s spokesperson said: “We’re very sorry for the experience Francesca had with her Nando’s delivery.”

A spokesperson for Deliveroo added: “Food safety is an absolute priority and we are sorry to hear about this customer’s experience.

“We understand Nando’s have provided the customer with a gesture of goodwill to make up for the incident and we will urgently investigate this issue with them to understand what happened.”